MonkeyVarnish

Saturday, January 01, 2005

Loyal Subject

Example

Since I've been away I seem to have deliberately become some sort of stereotype of a grumpy old Englishman. (Or maybe I was before.) I insist on owning a large box of PG Tips teabags, and found myself boasting that the suncream I brought with me was by appointment to The Queen. So on Christmas day I got quite excited about the prospect of The Queen's speech, and made everyone try to guess what colour she would be dressed in. I think Adam won.

It was nice to get some Xmas greetings from Her Majesty, and the "everyone should try to get along" theme is obviously good. But I thought the "focus in on all the non-white kids in this choir" was very unsubtle. The really funny bit was the footage of Prince Philip being diplomatic.


A quote from Phil:
If it has got four legs and it is not a chair, if it has got two wings and it flies but is not an aeroplane, and if it swims and it is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it

More gaffes here, as reported by the British Broadcasting Corporation.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:59 AM, Blogger dan said…

    My own particular favourite, not reported here, is when his train broke down in highland Scotland he and his retinue had to walk to a nearby but very remote station. The awed and very elderly station master invited the Duke into his house saying "if you would like to step into my house Sir, I shall entertain you until your car arrives". To which the Prince replied "what are you a f*cking Juggler".

    Class that is.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home